Thursday, November 01, 2007

November

A friend of ours decided to participate in NaNoWriMo, and tried unsuccessfully to get some other writer friends to join her. Since I don't write outside of this blog, I didn't have to feel guilty about ignoring her enthusiastic email. But then another friend countered with the idea that maybe everyone should take on some kind of personal challenge in the month of November. I jokingly decided that I would try 30 new wines in the month of November (since I'm much better at drinking wine than I am at writing/ photography/ other creative pursuits). But as I started to think about it, I realized it could easily be done and that I could get Chip to do it with me. It would also spur us to put up regular, smaller posts about new wines that we recommend, and the blog would be more active. We were totally on board for the challenge.

But then, in the waning light of October, I remembered that we had already planned to attend the Sip Around the World Wine Tasting at the Botanic Garden (benefitting the National Kidney Foundation of West Tennessee). Over 100 wines at my fingertips- on November 2! Suddenly my November challenge was over before it began. I can take notes on the wines, and put up some blog posts, but the excitement of finding/affording/sampling 30 wines was gone.

As I thought about it, I realized that part of what I wanted in November was an excuse to put up more blog posts, and to encourage Chip to write more on the blog. I was going to use the wine as my excuse, but in its absence I decided to pull out the big guns- I signed us up for NaBloPoMo. That's right, National Blog Posting Month. (You might remember RJA's heroic completion of the NaBloPoMo challenge last year. Blame this on him.) So expect to hear from us a bit more in the coming weeks, about the kids, about wine, about our friends, but mostly about our tremendous egos as we convince ourselves you really need 30 straight days of Chockleyness.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck! How are you splitting this up between the two of you? 15/15? 20/10? Or will you each post every day for 30 days?

Stacey Greenberg said...

Good for you!

Stephanie said...

Daily blog activity is all I can promise. The percentages have not been negotiated.

Cathy said...

Good for you! I thought about doing this, too. But, since I just now realized that it is officially November, I'm not sure. Maybe I will. I guess I have until midnight to decide.

Sassy Molassy said...

Good luck! I don't think I'd blog well under pressure. Besides, I'm kinda busy with my other November challenge.