Friday, May 23, 2008

Can't Help But Wonder

I recently read a magazine that summarized every episode of Sex and the City in anticipation of the release of the movie version. Each plot summary started with "Carrie couldn't help but wonder. . ." As I tend to do when I read something long-ish, I soon found myself narrating my life in the style of the main character. As I plopped my kids down in front of the TV so that I could make dinner in peace, I couldn't help but wonder, "How many episodes of Dora is too many?"

Although my version of this narrative device might never result in thoughts such as "Are men just women with balls?" I still think it would make for compelling television. Sample episodes include:

Episode One: Pilot
As the urine dried and the now-yellowish panel displayed two distinct pink lines, I couldn't help but wonder, "What have I gotten myself into?"

Episode 23: Drinking Games
I watched Chloe drinking confidently from a lidless cup under her teacher's watchful eye, and felt I should be able to trust her. Later that night, at the Alleys' house, I threw caution to the wind and handed her a sippy cup without the stopper, certain that she could handle it. Later, as Chip changed her into dry clothes while I mopped up apple juice, I couldn't help but wonder, "How old is too old to rely on a sippy cup?"

Episode 15: Brown is the New Green
As I tried to figure out how to keep Connor's dirty butt off the furniture while I flushed the poop and rinsed off the cloth diaper, I couldn't help but wonder, "If I promise to use florescent light bulbs, can I go back to shoving stinky disposable diapers into the plastic confines of the Diaper Genie without guilt?"

Episode 42: Worth a Thousand Words
Despite some ribbing about the number of pictures displayed on the blog in the past few days, I found myself happy with the increased number of blog hits Chip's wedding photography inspired. As I browsed for just the right picture to end this post with, I couldn't help but wonder, "Is it possible to display too many pictures if the shots are this awesome?"


1 comment:

Mrs. Katherine said...

Man, I was totally thinking of doing a Carrie-narrated post! At work, we like to say "meanwhile" which is also one of Carrie's favorites. "Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Miranda...and so on and so forth.