Friday, December 28, 2007

Hip Hip Hooray It's Christmas Vacation

As much as I love being off work for over a week, it is always humbling to have that much time at home with my children- humbling as I realize what a crappy stay-at-home mom I would make. I used to think staying at home with the kids was my dream job, and maybe a part of me still longs for it, but most of me is counting the minutes until our next opportunity to leave the house.


My mother astutely pointed out that if I'd always stayed at home with my kids, they would be used to the routine around the house, and would have learned by now how to play by themselves (without the aid of the TV). As things are, they are used to constant companionship from peers and teachers and have been rendered unable to spend more than three minutes playing alone. And that three minutes is filled with "Come plaaay with meeeeee!" until either I give in and start playing or they give up on playing and come to physically hang on my leg.


Fortunately, when we were at Kroger earlier they had a Cars car that we had never seen, so I bought it to use as "motivation" for good behavior. Although Connor temporarily lost his mind at a birthday party earlier in the day, right now he is playing quietly in his room while Chloe naps, so he just might earn Bob Cutlass after all. Keep your fingers crossed. For both of us.

2 comments:

Stacey Greenberg said...

i want to hear about the bday party!

Ginger said...

Amen, sister. If I have to play one more game of Chutes and Ladders with a cheating almost-three-year old, I might scream.