Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Weekend

The kids went to Nashville this weekend to hang out with their grandparents. Chip and I were home alone! What does one do when there are no kids to take care of? Good question! Let me answer it for you.

Saturday morning Chip drove the kids to Exit 101, halfway to Nashville. I went to Jazzercise instead of accompanying him. As it is, the kids hug and kiss me before each Jazzercise class as if I'm going to be away from them for several days, rather than just an hour, so I figured we could just kill two birds with one stone this time.

After my class, I called Chip to see if he was home yet. Not quite. "Do you need me for any reason?" the mom in me asked. "Nope," he replied. OMG. No one needs me? I went to the Farmer's Market, and then to my mom's house. I got home when I felt like it. No one complained. This is crazy.

When I got home, I fixed lunch for only myself. Then I read a book while Chip processed pictures from a wedding he shot recently. Music played in the background. No one talked. Blissful.

Next, we went to a 901 Day concert at Shangri-La and heard Caleb Sweazy, Jeff Hulet, and Chad Nixon play some songs. Then we went to see The Dark Knight Rises. That movie is not even animated! After the movie, the skies were dark and scary. We went to Sharky's and rode out the storm watching college football in their bar while eating sushi and other seafood-y things. Another meal I did not fix.

The most amazing thing that happened Saturday was that we were flipping channels that night and came across a Sammy Hagar concert. This led us to look him up on the internet (because who is that badass chick playing bass for him?), at which time I learned that Sammy is going to be 65 next month. Sixty-five. As in, YEARS OLD. He was born one year after my mom. How is that possible? My mind is blown.

On Sunday, we slept in. Not even the cat attempted to wake us up early. Have I ever been this lucky? Perhaps sometime around the year 2000, when I didn't have kids or pets. I barely remember that time. Then we both walked the dog, together. Isn't that a weird thing to be excited about? No one had to stay home with the kids, and no whining kids were dragged along on the walk despite their most urgent wishes to be lazy and immobile. Next, we went to brunch with Tiffany and Mark at South of Beale. Then I got to see Chip's new office and we walked around the music festival before heading home. Then we did quiet, solitary things like read, shop, process pictures, etc. There might have been napping. It probably would have been a good time to clean or pay bills, but that just seemed silly.

Sunday night we cooked a good dinner and watched The Hunger Games. Then we went to bed at a decent hour and slept in the next day. Sleep! SO MUCH SLEEP! It was glorious. Then we went and picked up the kids, and not a minute too soon, because I missed them like crazy.

No comments: