Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Down With the Sickness

On Valentine's Day, I started noticing a ringing in my ears. It didn't bother me too much Sunday, but on Monday I had coworkers pulling me aside to ask if things were alright with me. By Tuesday night I felt like someone was stabbing me in my left ear. I spent the night tossing and turning and crying and waking Chip up to ask things like, "Has anyone's head ever exploded while they slept?" and "Do you think I should go to the ER?"

Wednesday the doctor confirmed that I had a textbook ear infection and prescribed Amoxicillin and Lortab (and Diflucan, because you know I'll need it). I took both and went to sleep. I slept through the rest of Wednesday, all of Thursday, and all of Friday. I did my best to keep up with Chip and the kids over the weekend, but it took everything out of me to spend more time awake than asleep. Saturday Chloe put me down for a nap in her bed and made sure I had every doll in the bed with me, along with a blanket for the dolls, two blankets for me, as well as a tiara and a gold bead necklace. It made me feel a little better, but not as good as an actual nap might have.

Monday I emailed the doctor to ask for help. They discontinued the Amoxicillin and put me on the much more expensive Levaquin as well as more Mucinex. I left work at 2:00 and went home to sleep until Chip and the kids got home. Then I went back to sleep around 9:30- a late night for me these days.

Today my ear feels about the same, but I find myself with a lot more energy. Hopefully that means the new meds are working. I am definitely sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm bored, I long for some type of physical activity (Friday I spent part of the day watching Gilad on FitTV, trying to live vicariously), I hate that things are piling up on me at work, and I miss playing Rock Band with the kids. I finally feel that I've turned a corner, though, so keep your fingers crossed that I'm back to normal soon.



Confidential to Chloe and Connor: I am really sorry if I ever laid you down flat in your crib while you had an ear infection. Why didn't you tell me how bad it sucked?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, Steph. I'm sorry you have been feeling so awful. Sounds like the most horrible ear infection ever. Glad it's getting better though.