Sunday, December 31, 2006

Resolved

Here we are on the eve of a new year. I look at this as an excuse to make yet another to do list, one you may know better as "New Year's Resolutions."

I know what you're thinking: cliched and pointless. But that's only if you're someone who doesn't thrive on checking things off your list! I have kept many big, life-altering resolutions in my day, and hopefully this year won't be any different. I've got several little things on the agenda, but here are my big two:

A resolution that Chip and I have made together is to get a doctor. We notoriously avoid going to the doctor, which means we don't have a PCP so if we really, truly get sick we have to go spend a day at a minor med. The older we get, the stupider this seems. Plus, shouldn't we be getting checked regularly for things? I don't know what happens to you in your mid-30s, but as quickly as my body has been deteriorating since turning 30 and having kids, I'm sure I need someone to look me over. Chip too. He's about to turn 35! We have someone picked out, and we are going to make introductory appointments so that the next time we're actually sick we can say, "Why yes, my file is at your office!" and possibly get an actual appointment in a timely manner.

The other big thing I plan to do is sleep less. I'm sure most people with young kids wish they could get more sleep, but that isn't a problem at the Chockley household. All four of us are champion sleepers. The problem is that there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to spend eight or more of them in bed- I'm not getting done all the things I need to in the course of a day. Ideally, we would just move to Midtown and I would gain an hour a day by not having a long commute. But since that isn't economically possible, I guess I have to start going to bed later and waking up earlier. So what's the key to staying up later? More coffee? More activity? I know no one out there (other than my in-laws) sleeps as much as I do, so please share your secrets.

Now if you're lucky, maybe I can get Chip to make a resolution to blog more so that occasionally you can read something interesting at chockley.com.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Having two more kids should take care of that sleeping issue you're having.

Happy New Year, Chockleyblogs!

Stacey Greenberg said...

you need to ease into staying up late. start by forming a crush on john stewart, then stephen colbert. that'll get you to 11:00pm every night. then start blogging when they are done. before you know it, it'll be midnight.

An said...

the secret lies within the 360 - it'll keep you up til 6 in the morn if you need to, where's my off-colored toffee?

Memphisotan said...

If you need to burn up an extra hour and a half in the evening, I suggest you come by the SAM compound and put Miss M to bed. That'll serve the dual purpose of keeping you up and wearing you completely out.