Friday, July 07, 2006

Car Talk

Connor spent the early part of this week in Nashville with the Chockleys, allowing Chloe to imagine what life would have been like if she had been born first and didn't have to share our time and affection with Connor. I'd say she would have enjoyed being an only child! She spent three days cooing and smiling and impressing us with her early attempts to roll over. (She totally did it today! She rules.) I told anyone who would listen that she wasn't missing Connor at all.

Then he came home, and I found out I was wrong. She lit up at the sound of his voice! Thursday morning, for the first time ever, she didn't fall asleep on the way to school- she stayed awake to talk to her brother. I told Connor she was asking about his trip, and he started telling her about it. I interrupted with a question about something he did in Nashville, and he said, "Mom! I'm talking to Chloe!" He then proceeded to lower his voice so that only his sister could hear. I turned down the radio so I could eavesdrop on their intimate conversation about fireworks, Bonnie and Claire, and Cars, trying to keep my heart from melting into complete oblivion. (I had to drive! I needed all my internal organs.) Then when Connor was done regaling her with tales of his Nashville adventures, Chloe let out a long, satisfied coo. My heart melted further as Connor's face lit up. "She's talking to me, Mommy!" Looks like he missed her too.

1 comment:

Stacey Greenberg said...

ok you just made me cry!

i'm telling you there is nothing cooler than when they start playing together and developing their own little sibling relationship.