Thursday, March 19, 2009

St. Louis Cathedrals

On Tuesday, before hitting the City Museum in St. Louis, I dragged the family around to a couple of cool cathedrals.  I had my tripod with me, and wanted to try out some photo techniques.  (HDR, for you photo geeks out there-- a technique which combines multiple exposures to produce photos which capture a broader range of lights and darks, more like the human eye.)

First was the Basilica of St. Louis, King of France, otherwise known as the "Old Cathedral," which is on the river, right by the Arch.  It was constructed in the Greek Revival style.  I could tell how old this place was-- built in 1834.  I have to be honest-- not a ton to look at, but still very old, and very French.

 
  
  
Next up was the Christ Church Cathedral, a gothic revival structure built between 1859-1867.  This was was truly beautiful, inside and out.
  
 
 
I had a case of family burnout and didn't make it to the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, which is supposed to be the best of them.  I saw it as a kid, and I remember the amazing mosaics covering all of the walls. Next time, I'll start there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Hey, Immaculate Conception is a gorgeous cathedral here in Memphis. That's where we go to church. It's worth taking pictures of. Central Ave.

St. Mary's Cathedral on Poplar is pretty, too, and it's very, very old so it was a gothic-type look to it..in a really beautiful old style.

You don't even have to leave town to take pics!