Friday, March 19, 2010

Grumpy Gus

I have to admit, lately I've been struggling with Connor. He is just such a pessimist!

It's not how the rest of us handle things at all, so Chip, Chloe and I just don't know how to react to his constant grumpy disappointment. And sadly, it dominates the mood of the household even though he is the clear minority and the rest of us try to ignore it.

OK- I've written and erased about a thousand things here, so let me just summarize thusly: Connor is never happy with what you give him. He always wants more, and is devastated when he doesn't get it. It worries me- I hate that he never just enjoys life! He doesn't ever seem to be happy, even when he gets what he asked for. But it also makes me hopeful that maybe he'll be one of those highly motivated people who always strives for more rather than settling for less than what they really want.

Either way, let's just all try to ignore that pout and go on about our happy business, shall we? Believe me though, it's easier said than done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a sound effect for Gray's grumpy moments (from the Price is Right.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Not sure if this link will work. Its our way of acknowledging it and making light of it too.

It gets better the older he gets.

Lisa said...

I have the same problem with Gavin! I can't understand why someone would want to live in such a miserable existence. He was actually complaining about "having" to go to Disney World for spring break. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?

I struggle with the complaints and grumpy attitude all the time. I wish I had some advice, but I don't. I just try to go with the flow and hope that one day he will embrace life and lighten up a bit.