Wednesday, November 15, 2006

All In

Saturday night we went to the Morgans' house to celebrate Cullen's 29th birthday. (Can you believe I have a friend who is still in his twenties?) Jay and Lesley were there, as were Brian, Erin and Samantha. Two nights in a row we saw other adults! I was so overwhelmed I had to curl up in a ball and sing the Dora theme song to myself until I felt calm again.

Gina slaved over a hot stove (ha! But seriously, thanks for dinner) while simultaneously participating in a raucous game of poker. We actually had a buy-in! ($5 per person, but still) After "having his a** handed to him" on the golf course that day, Cullen had high hopes of redeeming himself by doubling up early at the poker table. Instead, he was the first person out. Other highlights included learning the actual rules of poker from Erin, and setting up a sushi get-together in a couple of weekends. Because as much as I love my kids, hanging out with adults rules. As the uber-potent RJA so eloquently pointed out, one of the great things about having kids is how much they make you appreciate your time without them. If I got to hang out with other couples on a regular basis, talking about wine and college basketball and whether you burn one or two cards before the flop, I might just start taking it for granted. And where's the fun in that?

No comments: