Friday, August 22, 2008

Scheduling

Here we are at the end of the first week of navigating a new school and a new schedule. You'll be happy to know that I haven't seen Connor cry since that first day, although this morning one of his seatmates was in tears as I left. He's a kid Connor likes, so I hope they can console each other. I also got a hug from the girl who sits across from Connor (she likes me because I know her name) and gave the stink eye to the girl who sits next to him, because yesterday she called him a "stupid boy." Although she's probably right- I'm just glad she hasn't mentioned the cooties yet.

Something else exciting was going on this week, but I wanted to make it to Friday before sharing. As you may know, Connor's school starts at 7:30. You may also know that the school is on the same block as my office, and both are at least 20 minutes from our home. With those facts staring me in the face, I decided to man up and officially request a "flexible" schedule. After some negotiation, I have been allowed to come in at 7:30, take a half hour lunch, and leave at 3:30, three days a week, with the other two days following the traditional 8:30-5 schedule. Woohoo!

While the week has been full of changes, it has gotten progressively easier to keep up with them. I think we're all comfortable with our new schedules, and can expect things to go much smoother from here on out. One thing's for sure- the prospect of ending my work week at 3:30 on Friday afternoon sure has taken the sting out of the way the week began. This kindergarten thing might not be so bad after all!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad they were able to work something out for you. I'm jealous, too...

Anonymous said...

Well done! That's great. So glad the rest of the week went well and big ups for getting a flexible schedule. That extra time will go a long way!