Monday, September 11, 2006

MY Child


If any of you doubted that I was actually the mother of Chip's children, I have proof that at least Connor is mine. Not just that we stare blankly at our television overlord in the same manner, although that was our first clue. And not just that he is loud and wildly emotional either. I have even more compelling proof.

One thing is that Connor is now experimenting with sarcasm. I've never been prouder of my offspring. Let me set the stage: at the end of "Go Diego Go!" they have a quiz about the animal that was central to the episode. They ask a question and give two choices. Some are pretty obvious (Does the pygmy marmoset eat tree sap or spaghetti and meatballs?) and some require more thought (Is the llama good at climbing or swimming?). We were watching the other day, and the animal was the red-eyed tree frog. The first question was, Does the tree frog have red eyes or purple eyes? Connor said (with an eye roll), Oh, it's got purple eyes- yeah! Then he dissolved into a fit of giggles. Fantastic!

Another is that Connor has developed a love for "white cheese." That's right, Parmesean cheese. Those of you who know me know how I feel about this perfect food specimen. Those of you who don't, here's a little list of things I have put Parmesean cheese on of late:
1. Microwave popcorn
2. Scrambled eggs
3. Rice Chex
But it's more than that. If I have a container of shredded (not grated), I will just eat it for a snack. During college I lived for a two and a half year stretch on nothing but Diet Coke, Bud Light, and white rice made with butter, garlic salt, and Parmesean cheese. It's important to me. Well, now my son will eat a bowl of it with a spoon. All starches require white cheese, including his morning slice of toast. It frightens Chip, who still refers to the contents of the magical green container as "saw dust" (as if!) but it makes me feel good to see myself in my son.

No comments: