Friday, September 02, 2005

The Big Easy

Even though everybody's probably sick of New Orleans news by now, I just feel the need to say something about it.

Is this really America we're talking about here? Not Rwanda, not Bosnia, but America? It seems so abstract when we hear stories about people's lives being ripped from them in those places. But New Orleans? It's just down the road!

I'm really glad Steph and I took a nice trip there this May, because it'll be a long time before we'll be able to go again. Such a fun city, and so unique. Other than Memphis and Nashville, it's the city I know best and visit most often. For the foreseeable future, I guess we'll have to find another "adult playground." Nothing can quite replace the Big Easy, though.

If you haven't heard it yet, you should listen to this interview with Mayor Nagin here. The man tells it straight. I don't know that I've ever heard a politician speak with so much candor. I'd vote for him in a second.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're right, he does tell it like it is. this whole situation is so weird to think about. my friend sara lives in new orleans now because that's where she is doing her med school residency. she wasn't in town when this happened; thank god. however, when i last talked with her she was trying to get back to help the recovery team at the hospital. she didn't even know if her house was still standing. my heart goes out to all who are dealing with this tragedy.
-stanfill

Cullen said...

Gina and I were supposed to go with you on that trip and now I am really upset that we didn't. We have never been to NO and now if we do, I can't imagine it ever being the same.