Thursday, January 07, 2010

Snow Day



People love to laugh about how Memphis shuts down whenever there's a half inch of snow. But count me as one who finds it charming. I don't envy Geoff Calkin's mother, shuffling around Buffalo in a foot of snow. I enjoy the fact that I can stop and enjoy any piddling amount of the white stuff that might come my way, rather than fighting through it to carry on with our regular lives. Every half inch of snow is special- we're excused from school and work so that we can spend our time throwing snowballs and drinking hot chocolate. We'll be back to normal tomorrow, and we won't have to shovel snow out of the way in order to get there. Snow can be enjoyed occasionally, rather than endured for months on end, and I like it that way. Maybe it's because I've never known anything else.



School was dismissed early today, so I grabbed the kids around 1:30 and we rushed home to see how much of that half inch was left in our yard. We found our driveway was mostly covered, and we took advantage of it. Connor suggested that we put it in a big pile in order to maximize its potential. Chloe gave up early on, and by the time the pile was assembled, Connor and I were frozen. But we couldn't give up yet! After some shoveling and rearranging, Connor decided to make it snow by throwing shovelfuls up in the air and jumping under it. Once the pile was dispersed, we went inside, peeled our gloves from our frozen fingers and had lots of hot chocolate. A perfect Memphis snow day.



4 comments:

Beverly said...

perfectly said....

Stan said...

I'm gonna have to eat Chloe up with a spoon in that picture!

Anonymous said...

We have to shut down when we get snow! We do not have the snow equipment that other cities have to make it safe to drive on the streets. And we definitely don't get enough snow/ice to make it worth investing in that kind of equipment. People never think about that before they laugh at us! My kids had fun in it too! Your kids are gorgeous.

Stephanie said...

I say that EVERY TIME- "We don't get enough snow to invest in that kind of equipment." It's like you're in my head!